THE STORY SO FAR
1899-2013- First Baptist Church builds the Edward Seeler-designed, Byzantine-inspired building at 17th and Sansom St., in Center City Philadelphia. It would go on to become a center of ministry, worship and service to the city over the next century.
Dec. 2013- First Baptist Church informs Liberti Church’s leaders that they needed to sell their facility, and had an offer from a developer. Liberti’s leadership and First Baptist’s leadership begin to talk and pray about Liberti purchasing and renovating the facility.
Spring 2014- Liberti’s leaders pray, and partner with church and community leaders to study facility options, and determine the feasibility of the FBC building becoming Liberti’s permanent home.
March 23, 2014- First Baptist members vote nearly unanimously to sell their facility to Liberti Church, rather than a developer, thus giving our church and theirs a permanent home, to continue the legacy of this place as a center of worship and service to the city!
June 19, 2014- Liberti’s elders vote unanimously to purchase and renovate the FBC building.
June 29, 2014- Liberti Church’s members vote overwhelmingly to affirm our elders’ decision to purchase and renovate the FBC facility!
September 15, 2014- Liberti Church officially closes on the purchase of the FBC building, securing the facility debt-free!
September 28, 2014- Liberti launches the For the City initiative to renovate the FBC facility and ready it for another century of worship, community, and service to the city!
2015 PROJECTED TIMELINE
March - April, 2015 - Hazardous material remediation.
April - September, 2015 - Utility and heating upgrades.
April - October, 2015 - Renovations and construction on all levels of the education wing of the building.
October/November 2015 - Phase 1 project completion.